Trotters achieve speeds approaching those of a galloping Thoroughbred. Although selected for their natural trotting ability, that is the horses' preferred gait is the trot, the limbs and joints are none the less subject to tremendous concussion. As a result of the speed at which they race, injuries that occur include over reaches, speedy cuts, brushing injuries, tendon and ligament injury and muscle sprain, strain and tears.
Considerable stamina is required for the horse to perform this work. A diet that provides a source of slow release energy, quality protein to effect repair to damaged tissue and a mineral and vitamin profile including electrolytes to replace those lost during racing is essential. Trotters may also benefit from the addition of MSM, glucosamine and DMG supplementation. Methyl sulphonyl methane, when fed to racehorses was shown to reduce stress. It has also been found to reduce inflammation, enhance circulation and help to alleviate pain. It is therefore a natural alternative to steroids and it may be that this supplement could be a useful prophylactic and preventative supplement for horses who are susceptible to tying up or azoturia.
Glucosamine is an effective joint and connective tissue nutrient in the treatment of joint and tendon injuries.
- THE ABOVE INGREDIENTS ARE AVAILABLE IN effective levels in Equilibrate's CONDITION HOOF & FLEX (CHF) or can be purchased from Equilibrate as individual supplements.
DMG (Dimethylglycine) has shown in trials to improve stamin and recovery time.
- Ginseng is a powerful adaptogen. It helps to lower blood pressure and increases endurance helping the horse to overcome fatigue.
- Garlic is an effective anti-microbial plant acting on bacteria, viruses and alimentary parasites. It lowers blood pressure and improves cardio-vascular health and stimulates cell growth.
- Cloves are another stimulant.
- Ginger is useful for strengthening the respiratory system and for aiding digestion.
- Performance horses frequently have lowered immunity to the stress of performing, travelling and exposure to other horses. Supplementation of Echinacea boosts the immune system.
- ALL THE ABOVE ARE SUPPLIED BY EQUILIBRATE BUT CHECK WITH YOUR COMPETITION BODY WHETHER IT CONTRAVENES RULES.